Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Favorite Entry

As I was looking at my inbox, I found this email from a dear friend commenting on the entry made by my hubby last 2007 holidays. All the contents and comments I received from this entry never fails to bring tears to my eyes. Tears of gladness that some folks understand what families like mine undergo. Yes, the most simple endeavor an ordinary child can do may easily be forgotten, but this event has brought tremendous joy to my soul and gratefulness to the Lord. It brought faith and continuous hope inspite of all the tensions it brings to my marriage and to my wit. It brought laughter inspite of all the furstrations and anger everytime I try new methods on how to get through to Matt. It washed away my fears of giving up easily and made me realize that this is the gift we receive.

Read on and I hope you learn to appreciate all the simple everyday and ordinary things in life that happens may suddenly be big miracles (or gifts) for some.
-------------------------------------------------

Earlier this morning, we brought our son Matt to his school's Christmas presentation. I was a bit worried as I stood backstage with him. He was fidgeting, as the noise and chaos was getting to him. It was noisy and people in colorful costumes were running around. It was sensory overload for him. I worried normal people wouldn't understand if he "misbehaved". I held his small hand in mine as long as I could. As one of the teachers led the kids to the stage area, I held my breathe.I saw the teacher lead Matt to the open area beneath the front of the stage. There were too many kids to fit into the small elevated stage. As the teacher (my son's favorite, actually) climbed up the stage, I saw my son running in a panic and then bolting to climb to the stage. I almost ran to him. I told myself, if no one steps in to guide him, I'll do it myself. Good thing another teacher saw him and guided him to an open spot on the stage. She was patient enough to talk to him to get him to stay on the same spot. The music came on and they began to sing. Matthew sang along.After the performance, the teachers marched the children down the stage and Matt was one of the first. I gladly took his hand as one of the teacher guide him over to where I was. I breathed a sigh of relief, the ordeal was over. My son had coped and made his mother proud.

The thing that gets me is for parents of children with autism, simple milestones like these are special. It doesn't take much to make us happy or proud of our children. Small steps make the biggest impressions on us. Things that normal parents with normal kids most likely just ignore, we treasure. It's both a blessing and a cross to bear. These contradictions will never see light in the perspective of regular people.
-------------------
Matthew got bored waiting for the rest of his classmates get their formation right. From down the stage, he went up to get a nice spot. He was still walking when the music began. He stopped immediately and just sang loudly the Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer with all confidence and in the right tune and lyrics.

I was definitely the proudest and happiest Mommy that day.

--------------------------
Wow! ala kung asabi.

I am also proud of you, both. I know how it feels for you to have Matt and how he makes you proud especially for times when you are counting on him. Several children and parents alike have that same blessing, as I have met and talked, and live with them. I know that both of you are very kind and well in guiding Matt to the normal path, but what is normal is what you are right now. A proud mother, a very strong father, a deserving child. One happy family....

Happy New Year!

piNong

No comments: