Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Autism Is Also A Class Issue

As I read an article published in PSL Website, I found myself nodding as I went. I can definitely understand how frustrating the costs can be. For our situations, therapy costs account for roughly 15% of my salary. Though I may be seen as fortunate by some, It still takes a toll on the budget.

Parents in the US have it better in terms of research and advances. They also bear the brunt of higher therapy costs. In the Philippines, or at least where I live, the costs are a whole lot lower. I expect to have spent around 37,000 pesos this year for therapy costs alone. We are fortunate that we started therapy at the time that we did. Booking therapists is getting to be a frustrating affair for parents who been asking schedules lately. The waiting lists seemed to have increase exponentially during the last few months. We already have our slot and we are sticking to it. We can't change schedules now unless the therapists have free slots. The demand in our area is that big. As the months roll by, more children are seeking treatment.

I can just imagine how hard it would be for parents who earn less than I do. It would be difficult enough for them to get a slot for therapy. They also have to contend with the costs.

No comments: